Short, beautiful circular tour from the Raab Valley into the Illz Valley to Sinabelkirchen with two small mountain climbs.
The 41 km long circular tour, starting from St. Ruprecht an der Raab, from the Raab valley into the neighbouring Ilz valley leads us along beautifully situated municipal roads past apple orchards and vineyards and through shady woodland, which we particularly appreciate in the height of summer.
The market town of St.Ruprecht an der Raab is located in Eastern Styria and is very easy to reach via the A2 motorway from Vienna (approx. 2 hours) and Graz (approx. 30 min.).
Arrival from Vienna and from Graz: On the A2 from Vienna and from Graz, take motorway exit 161 / Gleisdorf West in the direction of B54/B64. Follow the B65 / Gleisdorf federal road until you reach the B54 / Wechselbundesstraße. At the roundabout take the second exit to the B64 / Rechberg-Bundesstraße. After about 6 km turn left to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Open map here.
- We leave the centre of St. Ruprecht an der Raab in a westerly direction on Gartengasse and after about 300 m turn left onto Feldgasse. Then we go through a subway into the district of Arndorf.
- After the Lieb timber mill, we turn sharply right and after another kilometre or so, the tour leads us over a first ascent to the Steinbauernhöhe on the Lohnberg.
- Directly on the hill, we keep to the right and arrive at the beautifully situated Kernkapelle. Here we enjoy the 360 degree panorama of the Schöckl, the local mountain of Graz, the Kulm and the whole of Eastern Styria.
- The rest of the trail takes us along the ridge to Prebuch, where a short, rapid descent to Großpesendorf in the Ilztal awaits us.
- From here we roll comfortably along the Ilztal valley in a south-easterly direction to Untergroßau near Sinabelkirchen. Here we turn right, follow the B65 for about 600 m, and then immediately turn diagonally right towards Nitscha.
- When you reach the ridge, turn right onto the Hohenbergweg, pass the Buschenschank Maurer and after about a kilometre you reach the B54. We cross the main road, cycle a few hundred metres parallel to it in a northerly direction, and then keep left towards Prebuch.
- Just before Prebuch, we make a long left turn and roll along the Wollsdorfereggweg in a rapid descent to Wollsdorf. Here we continue to the right until we reach the B64, where we take the small subway to reach the lightly trafficked accompanying road, which we follow briefly in a northerly direction.
- We can now already see St. Ruprecht an der Raab, but before we reach our destination, we turn left again and make a loop through the district of Winterdorf with its apple orchards and cornfields.
- Via Fünfinger Straße we again reach the central starting and finishing point of all cycle routes - the main square of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Numerous Buschenschänke along the tour.
St. Ruprecht an der Raab is easily accessible by train and has its own railway station. To Graz main station - direction Gleisdorf - change - S-Bahn to Weiz. By bike you reach the centre in 2 min: Go straight ahead through the avenue (Bahnhofstraße) until you reach the crossroads. Turn right there and follow Hauptstraße towards Hauptplatz.
Timetables and travel information can be found directly at:
There are several parking spaces available on the main square in St. Ruprecht an der Raab. Alternatively, about 150 m away, past the Hotel Locker & Légere and the Marktheurigen Strobl, there are numerous parking spaces at the large park in the middle of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Eastern Styria Tourist Board | Office St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Lower Main Street 181
8181 St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Tel. +43 664 2353414
Further information on the subject of racing bikes can be found here.
More than 120 excursion destinations and enjoyment stations free of charge with the GenussCard.
Road cycling in Eastern Styria (c) Robert Walcher | © Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz | Simon Sackl
Core Chapel (c) Tourist Board St. Ruprecht an der Raab | © Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz | Simon Sackl
View of Eastern Styria (c) Tourist Board St. Ruprecht | © Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz | Simon Sackl
What the weather will be like
St. Ruprecht an der Raab (379m)
Rather cloudy in the morning, then sunny spells will develop gradually.
Mostly cloudy through the day with a chance of occasional sunny spells.
You may also be interested in