When the city shines ...
Advent in Graz
Every year on 19 November, the provincial capital of Graz turns into one big Christmas wonderland with dozens of attractions. For instance, the following season highlights have visitors flocking to the romantic lanes:
A city that shines
The Old Town of Graz is a romantic place at any time of the year – but especially so when it’s lit up by Christmas lights. Have you ever wondered why the Christmas trees in Herrengasse hang upside down? Artist Werner Stadler knows why: If the trees were the right way round, you would only see their trunks and the bottom branches. An unusual yet effective idea – that you should definitely see four yourself!
Illuminated town hall
Every year, a huge advent calendar is projected on the front of the city’s town hall.
If you like Christmas markets, you will love the Advent season in the Capital of Delight! A variety of Christmas markets invite you to take a Christmassy stroll. All of them can conveniently be reached by foot.
- the Christmas tree in front of the city’s town hall
- the Office for Christmas Carols at Steirisches Volksliedwerk
- the fairy-tale forest at Schlossbergplatz square: area without pressure to consume
- Advent at the city’s churches and “Fröhliche Weihnacht” exhibition at the Diocese Museum
- Graz Nativity Trail in the shopping windows of Stempfergasse
- “Adventbim” tram
- ice skating at Karmeliterplatz square: 1,000 m² ice skating rink right in the city centre
There are also numerous opportunities to celebrate the last hours of the waning year in the surrounding region of Graz, for instance during the New Year’s Eve torchlight procession through Hirschegg or at the New Year’s Eve gala at Therme NOVA spa.