Frauenberg Pilgrimage Church - Impression #1 | © Christian Scheucher

Frauenberg Pilgrimage Church

Ardning

About 6 km west of Admont, on the left bank of the Enns, rises a forested single mountain, called "Kulm", which at its highest point, 130 m above the valley floor, bears the Frauenberg parish and pilgrimage church, visible from afar.

Present

The last 35 years have been marked by important renovation work: Under Abbot Benedikt Schlömicher, the parish courtyard was extensively rebuilt according to historical aspects. A pilgrimage shop and the parish secretariat were built on the ground floor. From 2013 to 2014, the interior of the church was extensively restored. In addition to altars, frescoes and pews, the baroque organ was also restored. In 2018, the church underwent a thorough exterior renovation, restoring the baroque cream-coloured façade design. Since 2015, through the tenure of the current parish priest P. Prior Maximilian Schiefermüller OSB, Frauenberg has formed a parish association with Ardning and the parish of Hall.

About 6 km west of Admont, on the left bank of the Enns, rises a forested single mountain, called "Kulm", which at its highest point, 130 m above the valley floor, bears the Frauenberg parish and pilgrimage church, visible from afar.

History

The story of the church's origin says: In the spring of 1404, the flooding Enns carried a wooden carved statue of the Virgin Mary, which got caught in the undergrowth at the foot of the Kulm. A light phenomenon the following night, on the Saturday before the second Sunday after Easter, led to the statue being found. Abbot Hartnid of Admont initially built a wooden chapel for the statue of Mary at the summit of Mount Kulm, but it soon proved to be too small and was therefore replaced by a larger church made of stone. In 1420, the name Our Frawnperg is found for the first time. The parish of Frauenberg is documented as early as the 16th century. Since then, it has been served by the Benedictine monks of Admont without interruption. The Baroque period changed Frauenberg from the ground up: After 1682, the nave was extended in Baroque style and the rectory significantly enlarged. Under the abbots Urban Weber and Adalbert Heuffler von Rasen and Hohenbühel, the pilgrimage site largely took on its present form. The castle-like vicarage (Superiorat) was given its present form during this time: Inside, there are magnificently furnished rooms, some of which serve today as flats for the parish priest. Abbot Antonius von Mainersberg had the two east towers built and the monastery sculptor Josef Stammel created a new altar of grace in 1740. The pilgrimage site's greatest heyday was in the 18th century, when up to 60,000 pilgrims a year were counted.

Present

The last 35 years have been marked by important renovation work: Under Abbot Benedikt Schlömicher, the parish courtyard was extensively rebuilt according to historical aspects. A pilgrimage shop and the parish secretariat were built on the ground floor. From 2013 to 2014, the interior of the church was extensively restored. In addition to altars, frescoes and pews, the baroque organ was also restored. In 2018, the church underwent a thorough exterior renovation, restoring the baroque cream-coloured façade design. Since 2015, through the tenure of the current parish priest P. Prior Maximilian Schiefermüller OSB, Frauenberg has formed a parish association with Ardning and the parish of Hall.

Contact

Benediktinerstift Admont
Kirchplatz 1
8911 Admont

What the weather will be like

Ardning (664m)

Morning
foggy
9°C
80%
0 km/h
Noon
weather.icon.66
12°C
85%
5 km/h
Night
slightly cloudy
12°C
50%
5 km/h
Rain until the afternoon, then the clouds will break up towards evening.
Morning
slightly cloudy
10°C
0%
0 km/h
Noon
weather.icon.04
19°C
5%
5 km/h
Night
weather.icon.04
16°C
30%
5 km/h
Mostly cloudy through the day with a chance of occasional sunny spells.
15.06.2024
cloudy
8°C 23°C
16.06.2024
cloudy
11°C 22°C
17.06.2024
cloudy
11°C 25°C