The parish church Hartberg is dedicated to Saint Martin and was first mentioned in 1157. Its foundations are even older: they stand on the remains of a Roman building from around AD 200.The remains of the wall, especially the uncovering of the floor plan of a Roman villa complex with hypocaust heating under the parish church in 1973, indicate an imperial settlement in the urban area . Gravestones on the church wall also indicate Roman settlement. The church tower was originally a Romanesque defense tower, to which the church was later added.
Register now for the city tour:
His late baroque spire is one of the most beautiful in the country. In the parish church, different styles come together to form a harmonious whole: the Romans in the foundation, the Romanesque in the tower, the Gothic with the beautiful star rib vault under the roof and the Baroque in the interior. When a devastating fire broke out in Hartberg in 1715, which destroyed many houses and severely damaged the church, a decision was made in 1751 to convert it: among other things, the Romanesque aisles were demolished and rebuilt and the Romanesque defense tower was converted into a baroque church tower - which is still there today he one of the most beautiful spiers in Styria. The Gothic cross in the chancel and the interior has also been baroque.
The Romanesque Karner is one of the most important art-historical relics of the architecture of the "Staufer period" in today's Austria. Here late Romanesque meets delicate early Gothic. Closed for viewing during the day from Monday to Sunday.
Guides for Hartberg:
Hannes Portugaller, +43 676 62 81 884, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kerstin Hilsberg, +43 670 40 30 931, email@example.com
Sibylle Gauby, +43 676 53 02 456, firstname.lastname@example.org