The castle, whose oldest walls were built of Romanesque ashlars, is considered the secular nucleus of the town of Hartberg.
As a border region, Oststeiermark was exposed to enemy attacks for centuries. In 1128 Hartberg was established as a Palatinate by the Styrian Margraves from the Traungau family. The castle was built around 1130. In 1166 the assembly of nobles met here and decided to erect a ring of castles against the Hungarians. These well-fortified castles, which often became stately palaces, each tell us their very own personal story.
At the highest point of the medieval town once stood the castle of the Traungau family, today Hartberg Castle is located here. Rebuilt and extended in the Renaissance style in the 16th and 17th centuries, accentuated in the 21st century with a contemporary extension and framed by a romantic park, the course of history is reflected in a finely nuanced way.