In 1809, farmers began to mine talc on their land at "talc outcrops" (the places where the talc came to the surface), and from 1900 onwards, mining began in tunnels in order to recover this "treasure", the "white gold", the "feather white", as the talc is called by the local population.
Hardly imaginable today, at that time the talc was only mined "underground" and thus countless tunnels were created by the hard work of the miners.
Shift work at Rabenwald was from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., so the "shift workers" had to leave very early on foot from the valley to the mountain to work.
Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB)
8223 Stubenberg at the lake 5
Tel.:+43 3176 8882