Pleasure cycling to Weiz sheep farmers and Styrian pumpkin seed oil
Cycle to the specialities around sheep and lamb and to the Styrian pumpkin seed oil.
This pleasure bike tour takes us from St. Ruprecht an der Raab along the Raabtalradweg R11 to Weiz, past fragrant apple orchards, blossoming beetle bean fields and pumpkins forming orange-coloured blobs in wide fields. So you cycle leisurely in the garden of Austria to Weiz. The beautiful town of Weiz with an old town worth seeing and numerous shopping opportunities and good gastronomy invites you to a leisurely stopover. From Weiz you then head towards Mtterdorf in the district of Greith, where the Weiz sheep farmers offer everything to do with Weiz mountain lamb and sheep. A guided tour with tasting invites you to refresh yourself. Afterwards you cycle back over the beautiful ridge of Breitegg to St. Ruprecht to learn all about pumpkin seed oil in the Steirerkraft Kernothek.
The circular tour is made up of a combination of several cycle paths and roads with little traffic. The orientation is good and clearly laid out - we simply follow the route description below.
A2 Südautobahn to exit Gleisdorf West, at the roundabout another 6 km in the direction of St. Ruprecht. Or come from the north on the B 64 towards Gleisdorf.
- We start our tour from the main square in St. Rupercht an der Raab or from the bike hotel and follow the Raabtalradweg R11 signs in the direction of Weiz.
- We cycle via the districts of Arndorf, Neudorf and Unterfladnitz to the Weiz district of Krottendorf. There we continue to follow the signs of the Raabtalradweg and cycle through the picturesque town of Weiz.
- Here we should definitely take time for a stop: a stroll through town or shopping and a stop at the Weiz gastronomy is definitely worthwhile.We continue past the Weiz railway station - perhaps we will be lucky enough to see the Feistritztalbahn, a historic steam train - and the Tannenwirt.
- Here we leave the R11 and cycle along Mitterdorfer Straße towards Mitterdorf to Greith. A dedicated cycle lane accompanies us safely along the main road to Greith. There we turn right at the first junction to the Weizer Schafbauern.
- During the adventure tour with tasting we enjoy culinary delicacies around Weizer mountain lamb and sheep and browse through regional treasures of Eastern Styria in the extensive sales shop. The tour is only possible with advance reservation (at least 3 days in advance) (tour times according to the sheep farmers' website).
- Afterwards we cycle briefly back to the main road and cross it in the direction of Breitegg or St. Ruprecht an der Raab. We cycle along the little-used road on the ridge of the mountain, always comfortably downhill to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
- We pass the Gansrieglhof, which is definitely worth a stop. In any case, we should also visit the Breitegger Church, which lies directly on the path.
- When we arrive in St. Rupercht an der Raab, we can stop for lunch in one of the many restaurants. At 15:00 there is a guided tour and tasting at the Steirerkraft Kernothek. We cycle from the main square in St. Ruprecht an der Raab in a southerly direction (Gleisdorf) - follow the accompanying road to the Wollsdorf district.
- Then we have already reached the Kernothek. There we look over the shoulders of the oil millers, learn all about pumpkin seed oil, beetle beans and maize and find a large shop selling Styrian delicacies. Afterwards we cycle the same way back to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
- Visit the numerous ice cream parlours in St. Ruprecht an der Raab (Café Ristorante Pizzeria Azzurro and Herwig's Café Central) and in Weiz (Café Schwindhackl, Feichtinger or Restraurant Dejavu).
- Stopover in Weiz
You can rent modern trekking bikes and bicycles here:
- Garten-Hotel Ochensberger
Untere Hauptstraße 181
8181 St.Ruprecht an der Raab
Tel. +43 (0)3178 / 5132, www.ochensberger.at
- Locker & Légere
Tel. +43 (0)3178 / 2310, www.locker-legere.at
E-bikes or pedelecs (bicycles with an electric motor to help you pedal) are available for hire at the Garten-Hotel-Ochensberger:
- Visit the Peace Grotto, directly on St. Ruprecht's main square under the church steps. Detour to the baroque church of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
- Refreshments can be found in the numerous restaurants in St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
ÖBB www.oebb.at or Verbundlinie Steiermark www.busbahnbim.at
The starting and ending point St. Ruprecht an der Raab is very easy to reach by public transport (S-Bahn and bus) - the station is only about 700 m away from the main square and is directly on the Raabtalradweg R 11.
There are several parking spaces available on the main square in St. Ruprecht. Alternatively, about 200 m away, past the Hotel Locker & Legere and the Marktheurigen Strobl, there are numerous parking spaces at the large park in the middle of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Eastern Styria Tourist Board | Office St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Lower Main Street 181
8181 St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Tel. +43 664 2353414
More than 120 excursion destinations and enjoyment stations free of charge with the GenussCard.
Pleasure cycling picnic St. Ruprecht (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Pleasure cycling in the St. Ruprecht countryside (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Pleasure cycling St. Ruprecht (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Pleasure cycling Peace Grotto St. Ruprecht (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Pleasure cycling R11 St. Ruprecht (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Pleasure cycling Raab St. Ruprecht (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Pleasure cycling Steirerkraft Kernothek St. Ruprecht (c) TV St. Ruprecht die mosbachers | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Weizer sheep farmers (c) Weizer Schafbauern | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Weizer Schafbauern gift basket (c) Weizer Schafbauern | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
© Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Steirerkraft Kernothek Team (c) estyria Steirerkraft Kernothek | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
What the weather will be like
Sunny in the morning, but increasingly cloudy during the day. Showers will be possible towards evening.
Dry and bright with plenty of sunshine, clouds will be rare
You may also be interested in