Großwilfersdorf Parish Church
Großwilfersdorf
The Baroque parish church of Großwilfersdorf - a place of silence & encounter!
The Baroque parish church of Großwilfersdorf was built in two stages from 1674 to 1682 and is dedicated to St. Patrizius.
The patronage is celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent with significant public participation.
The Holy Trinity is celebrated as the second patron. In 1754, it was elevated to a parish.
Development of the Church The parish church came into being primarily due to the initiative of the farmers, who decided in 1674 to build a village church dedicated to the worship of the Holy Trinity. The farmers provided the necessary capital and actively participated in the construction. Among other things, they also made the wall and roof tiles themselves, which met with disapproval from Count Wildenstein, who operated a brick kiln in Kalsdorf. Out of fear of losing profit, he had the farmers' kiln destroyed without hesitation.
Nevertheless, work on the church construction progressed; the choir built in 1674 consists of a square bay with an eight-part ribbed vault on pillars and a 3/8 closure. According to the building inscription, the nave was constructed from 1682 to 1683 and features three rectangular bays with cross ribbed vaults and girdles with recessed fields structured on pillars.
In 1702, a square tower with an open bell chamber and a broken pyramid roof was added to the east.
In 1703, thanks to the donation of a citizen of Vienna, the old wooden bell tower, which warned the community of dangers, was replaced by a masonry church tower.
The building was expanded in the east-west direction in the 18th century and completely renovated in 1976/77.
Contact
Großwilfersdorf 19
8263 Großwilfersdorf