Graz Schlossberg [Castle Hill]
The Schlossberg lies in the heart of the city only a few minutes' walk from the main square. As early as the 10th century, the Schlossberg was originally a defensive castle hill. The castle was never conquered, but in 1809 it was destroyed by the French due to the provisions of the Treaty of Schönbrunn.
The bell tower together with the "Liesl" (bell) and the clock tower were saved by the Graz citizens by paying a ransom to preserve it. Only some of the bastion walls remain of the castle itself. A model of the mountain with the castle complex can be visited at the Garrison Museum. In place of the castle, the barons von Welden turned it into a park starting in 1839.