In the middle of the town of Neuberg on der Mürz and at the foot of the Schneealm is the former Cistercian monastery with the impressive cathedral. Founded by Otto the Merry in 1327, the Gothic building was completed at the end of the 15th century.
With the abolition of the abbey by Emperor Joseph II in 1786, the monastic life came to an end after 469 years. Today, the abbey is privately owned. The church, cloister, chapter house and dormitory have belonged to the diocese of Graz-Seckau since 1979.