Originally built by private individuals in gratitude, the Fatima Chapel is now part of a monastery.
The foundation stone for the Fatima Chapel of Peace and Remembrance was laid on May 22, 1955 in Bierbaum near Gnas. How did it come to be built? Franz Kamper, a merchant from Bierbaum, bought a statue of Fatima for a new chapel in gratitude for the fact that his young son, who was ill with severe diabetes, remained alive. Franz Sommer accepted the request, as he too was grateful to be alive. He thus redeemed his vow that he made at the front in Normandy, since God heard his request and saved him from death.Together with the Catholic rural youth and other benefactors, Franz Sommer erected the walls of the chapel. On the Feast of the Assumption in 1955, the first thanksgiving service was celebrated on the building site. In the fall of 1956, the dome cross was consecrated. In 1957 the plastering work was done and on the west side of the chapel a relief "Mary, Queen of Peace" was placed.In the following years, complementary works were carried out. The stained glass windows were installed and the roof was covered with sheet metal thanks to the help of the people.
In July 1973, with the help of the building order, Franz Sommer began to construct an annex - a rest home for elderly people. The consecration of the shell took place in October of the same year. In 1976, it was possible to purchase a bell, the Marian bell, for the chapel, which has been ringing three times a day ever since.On August 15, 1977 - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - the dean Fließer from Straden consecrated the Fatima Chapel with great participation of the population.
In 1978 the association "Fatima Chapel Bierbaum a. A. - Trössing" was founded. Since the influx of pilgrims was getting bigger and bigger, the association decided to think about a chapel extension together with Franz Sommer. Thus the crypt, a lower church with a Lourdes grotto and two confessional chapels, was built and consecrated on May 15, 1988. Furthermore, a second Marian bell was purchased, which was inaugurated on August 15, 1988.Due to the great sacrifice of the population, the interior of the Fatima Chapel could be considerably enlarged. On the outer facades, niches with statues of the apostles and stained-glass windows with stations of the cross worth seeing were created. The extension was completed in 1992. Since then, thousands of pilgrims are welcomed every year.
Shortly after the turn of the millennium, on September 11, 2001 to be exact, the "Fatima Complex" was founded as a monastery by diocesan bishop Dr. Egon Kapellari and entrusted to the Franciscan Marian community "Mary, Queen of Peace". Since then, the religious community has taken over the pastoral care of the place of pilgrimage.