Stadtpfarrkirche Außen 2 Stadtpfarrkirche Außen 2

Stadtpfarrkirche

Mureck

The parish of Mureck it is located on the border with Slovenia. For the first time as a parish is documented the year 1190.

The parish church of Mureck

Parish priest Luithold von Mureck is mentioned as early as 1187.

Until recently, however, it was assumed that the church at that time stood in the castle area on the southern bank of the Mur. However, during renovation work in the spring of 1998, the remains of a Romanesque church built in the 11th century were discovered. After geological investigations by the Office for the Preservation of Historical Monuments, new insights into the history of the Mureck parish church could be gained. Above the original floor of the Romanesque church there is a brick floor, which dates back to the Gothic period. Since the church was nevertheless too small, a new Gothic church was built around 1500, the ground plan of which formed the shape of a cross.

In 1532 the Turks destroyed the church and the market. Now the church had to be rebuilt. In 1756 and 1768 the rebuilt church and the village fell victim to a great fire. In 1780 the church was rebuilt in a baroque style. The generosity of the donors, the Counts of Stubenberg, and the artistic sense of the builders ensured precious altars, magnificent statues and beautiful paintings. In 1892 a small annex was built for the main altar. Due to the work, one could again admire old components. How carelessly past eras were treated, however, can be seen on the exterior north side. Next to the north entrance, clear spolia of Gothic and Romanesque columns have been built into the masonry. In the course of the renovation, the Federal Monuments Office officially determined the dimensions of the old parts of the church and one can now trace the same through the glass plates laid on the floor.

In 1998 the church also received "local heating", a new loudspeaker system and new lighting. For more information, see: The reason why the church was built so far away from the village (from the point of view of the time) may have been to protect it from floods and fires. A cemetery was built around the church. Probably the present nave, without the side altars, is the largest Romanesque nave in the South Styrian region. Even the experts are surprised about the size of the building in this area. In January 1999, the parish of Mureck expressed its sincere gratitude for the successful renovation of this church. Now the granite altar for the people is closer to the faithful and the ambo even forms the end of the chancel. From this reading and speaking desk the word of God will be proclaimed and the help of the church will be conveyed to the faithful. Patrician Church On the north side, just behind the church, stands the small daughter church of St. Patricius with an attached organist's house. From 1739 to 1740, instead of the former Patrizi chapel in the cemetery, the present Patrizi church was built by the master mason Georg Maritschnigg from Mureck and consecrated in 1748.

Contact

Stadtpfarrkirche Mureck
Kirchenplatz 1
8480 Mureck

What the weather will be like

Mureck (237m)

Morning
23°C
0%
5 km/h
Noon
30°C
5%
10 km/h
Night
27°C
15%
5 km/h
Dry and bright with plenty of sunshine, clouds will be rare.
Morning
23°C
5%
5 km/h
Noon
31°C
5%
15 km/h
Night
27°C
25%
5 km/h
Dry and bright with plenty of sunshine, clouds will be rare.
30.06.2022
18°C 32°C
01.07.2022
18°C 33°C
02.07.2022
17°C 30°C