The Marian pilgrimage church of Schöder: Due to the pointed, over 70 m high tower of the parish church and the location of the place at the foot of the Sölkpass and the old Roman path, Schöder is called the “Styrian Holy Blood”! The once Romanesque church was probably consecrated to the Mother of God in the 12th century, when the devotion to Mary north of the Alps reached its peak, and was called “The Birth of Mary in Schöder”. It was mentioned for the first time in 1181 and received its current late Gothic form around 1500. Worth seeing are the Gothic frescoes and Baroque altars and statues.
Because of the pointed, over 70 m high tower of the parish church and the location of the place at the foot of the Sölkpass and the old Roman path, Schöder is called the "Styrian Holy Blood"! The church is located on the northern edge of the village of Schöder on a slight slope on the immediate ascent of the old path to the Sölkübergang, from its location with a good view of the valley. After the Ranten estate was donated to the Archdiocese of Salzburg in 1120, the Ranten church received full parish rights. At the same time, the independent church, which existed at the time in the area of the later large parish of Ranten, was also placed under the jurisdiction of the archbishops of Salzburg as additional churches and side churches. Despite the good economic development, the Schöder Church remained the branch of the Ranten parish church for centuries. It is usually mentioned in the first place among the branches and its special position is documented by the fact that it already had the right to baptize in the pre-Reformation period and had a cemetery near the church. The Schöder Church has the Patronicum "Maria Birth". The high altar and the parish church are consecrated in honor of the "Birth of Mary". Marian devotion had reached its peak north of the Alps in the 12th century and the special devotion to Mary brought the church a number of foundations since the 15th century. The pilgrimage increased the reputation of the church. The Gothic frescoes, baroque altars and statues are worth seeing.
Daily from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Open office: Wednesday 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
church services:Sunday: 8:30 amSaturday: 7:00 pm