Stainz Castle Stainz Castle was an Augustinian monastery founded by Leudolt von Wildon in 1228. The monastery's heads were provinces, the best known was Probst Jakob Rosolenz 1570-1629, it had the castle rebuilt in the size and shape it is today. The architects and artists came from Italy, it was built in the Baroc-Rococo style. In 1785 the monastery was closed by Emperor Josef II. In 1840 EHJ bought Stainz Castle and also acquired the first freely chosen BGM from Stainz (1850).
Stainz Castle sits enthroned in the heart of StyriaOn the southern foothills of the Rosenkogel, in the heart of western Styria, this historic building sits enthroned above the roofs of the market town of Stainz, surrounded by its own vineyards and orchards. The castle was built in 1229 as an Augustinian canon by Luitbold von Wildon. The magnificent Renaissance and Baroque complex has its roots, which is particularly evident in the church of St. Catherine with its magnificent stucco work. In 1784 the canon monastery was secularized by Emperor Josef II and in 1840 it was bought by Archduke Johann for 250,000 guilders from the state. Since then, Stainz Castle has been owned by Archduke Johann's descendants, the Counts of Merano, for whom it is not only a place of residence but also an economic center. Franz Meran leads the legacy of his famous ancestors with the greatest commitment and according to modern business principles. The gentle and responsible use of nature in Stainz Castle does not contradict the use of the latest technology and economic interests.