The Styrian Flower Road runs through the municipal area, on the western edge of which is Festenburg Castle.
The flower village of Sankt Lorenzen am Wechsel lies at 728 meters above sea level and is partially surrounded by peaks of the Wechsel massif.
Already in Roman times the present municipal area was populated, which has been confirmed by burial mounds. Around the year 1200, the monastery castle Festenburg was probably built in the district of the same name. In Festenburg there is a parish church dedicated to St. Catherine and six chapels.