The circular hiking trail leads us over one of the most beautiful places in the Upper Raab Valley, the Stefanie Spring, through dense shady forests and along small streams. In the district of Winterdorf, there is also the possibility of making a detour to the Freiberg Golf Club, which is named after the neighbouring castle.
The Rauchenberg district in the west of St. Ruprecht an der Raab, which we visit on this circular hiking trail, is appreciated by hikers for its wealth of nature. When we leave the settlement area, the trail takes us through a dense forest to the Stefanie spring and further uphill to the district of Dörfl on a small ridge. From here we walk through an apple orchard to Rauchenberg, the namesake of the tour.
The tour in numbers
Level of difficulty
The market town of St.Ruprecht is located in Eastern Styria and is very easy to reach via the A2 motorway from Vienna (approx. 2 hours) and Graz (approx. 30 minutes).
Arrival from Vienna and from Graz: On the A2 from Vienna and from Graz, take motorway exit 161 / Gleisdorf West in the direction of B54/B64. Follow the B65 / Gleisdorf federal road until you reach the B54 / Wechselbundesstraße. At the roundabout take the second exit to the B64 / Rechberg-Bundesstraße. After about 6 km turn left to St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Open map here
- First we start from the main square, the central starting point of the hike in St. Ruprecht an der Raab, past the café of the Locker & Legére hotel and the Strobl market wine tavern, where we soon turn slightly right onto the Raaballee - before the bridge over the Raab.
- This is also the start of the bee trail, which is popular for children.
- Continuing along the Raab, we reach a beautiful footbridge that leads us across the Raab to the tennis courts of the municipality. Here we keep to the right and after a few metres turn left into the forest past a tall electricity pylon.
- From here, the trail goes uphill: at the beginning in beautifully designed serpentines through a dense high forest to the Stefanie spring, whose romantic place invites you to take a first rest. You should also make a short detour here to the "Blessing Place" for children before following the trail.
- Then we climb a few steps to the crossroads, where we say goodbye to the Burgthannerweg, which has led parallel until then, because we keep to the right and continue hiking uphill through the high forest to reach the district of Dörfl, a small settlement on a ridge.
- We turn right and walk only a few metres along the settlement road and then turn left. The path continues downhill through a beautifully landscaped garden to the Dörflbach stream. At Dörflbach, we keep to the left and walk through a pleasantly shaded forest into the Rauchenberg district.
- We now walk slightly uphill along the road with little traffic to a prominent crossroads, where we keep straight on and after a few metres downhill turn right in the district of Fünfing. Here we walk past beautifully situated farms and houses to the next prominent road junction and keep left.
- From here we have a view of St. Ruprecht an der Raab with the unmistakable high church tower of the beautiful baroque church in the middle of the village.
- Past apple orchards and fields, the path leads us back to the starting point in the heart of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Our hiking trails are marked red-white-red, as is common in the Alpine region, and at the crossing points there are yellow boards with black lettering and time indications. At the Burgthannerweg please follow the signs "Burgthannerweg". At the main square - the general hiking starting point in St. Ruprecht an der Raab - a stand with many yellow signs marks the direction. Our cycling and hiking map "A Region on the Move" is available at the municipal office, at the Raiffeisenbank St. Ruprecht an der Raab and at all catering and accommodation establishments.
- Visit the Peace Grotto, directly at St. Ruprecht's main square under the church steps.
- Detour to the baroque church of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
- You can find refreshment in the numerous restaurants in St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
St. Ruprecht is easily accessible by train and has its own station. To Graz main station - direction Gleisdorf - change - S-BAHN to Weiz. You can reach the centre on foot in 10 min: walk straight ahead through the avenue (Bahnhofstraße) to the crossroads. Turn right there and follow the main road towards the main square.
Timetables and travel information can be found directly at:
There are several parking spaces available on the main square in St. Ruprecht. Alternatively, about 150 m away, past the Hotel Locker & Legere and the Marktheurigen Strobl, there are numerous parking spaces at the large park in the middle of St. Ruprecht an der Raab.
Eastern Styria Tourist Board | Office St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Lower Main Street 181
8181 St. Ruprecht an der Raab
Tel. +43 664 2353414
Blick auf St. Ruprecht an der Raab | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Am weg zur Stefaniequelle | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Rast mit Blick zurück auf St. Ruprecht an der Raab | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
River and adventure pool St. Ruprecht an der Raab | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
Stefanie Spring St. Ruprecht an der Raab | © Oststeiermark – Tourismus und Stadtmarketing Weiz | Simon Sackl
Golf Club Gut Freiberg | © Oststeiermark Tourismus | Simon Sackl
What the weather will be like
St. Ruprecht an der Raab (379m)
Sunny in the morning, but increasingly cloudy during the day. Showers will be possible towards evening.
Early clouds will clear to leave the region with a dry and sunny day.
You may also be interested in