Start: Bruck an der Mur, tourist information, overnight accommodations: Tel.: +43 3862 30601, www.tourismus-bruckmur.at
Cab services: Fa. Strunz Tel.: +43 3862 55666, Express Taxi Tel.: +43 3862 51666, Taxi Gombotz Tel.: +43 3862 24990 GPS grid N 47° 24' 36,0" O 15° 16' 10,5" Destination / place to stay overnight: Schutzhaus auf der Mugel, Tel.: +43 650 6828798
GPS grid N 47° 21' 31,0" O 15° 11' 17,8"
Stage length: 16.5 kilometers
Total walking time (without breaks): 6 ½ hours
Vertical meters ascent: 1,510 vertical meters
Meters of altitude descent: 380 meters of altitude
We start in the center of Bruck an der Mur in the face of the gothic Kornmesserhaus and hike through the nature conservation center near the city in the Weitental (open to the public) to the Brucker Hochanger. From there it goes in an up and down through high forests and over mountain meadows rich in views to the Rosseck. Now downhill, uphill again and the Mugel with the new shelter is reached.
Just before the administration building of the nature conservation center, the so-called "Susannensteig" branches off uphill to the left. This root-covered path takes us first to the Almgasthaus on the Schweizeben and from there on a wide forest path to the Hochanger with the shelter of the same name.
Hiking gently downhill from the hospitable house we reach the Eisenpaß with the Utschmoaralm. On a forest path we continue, still partly descending, to the Kohlalm.
Here the path begins to climb again to reach the Trasattel. Now it is important to pay attention and not to miss the ascent to the Mugel, keeping to the right.
Quite steep at the beginning and then always along the slope, the trail leads us up to the summit of the Mugel and to the shelter located there - the next stage is done!
In the 9th century there were two small settlements in the area of today's town, separated from each other. One, first mentioned in a document in 860 as "ad pruccam", was probably located in the area of today's suburb of St. Ruprecht, the other in the area of today's city center. Especially during the 12th century, Bruck developed into an important trading center and around 1230 was granted the privilege of the right to boil salt. This eventually led to a further economic upswing. In 1263, Bruck was first referred to as an "oppidum" (town), making it one of the oldest towns in Styria. Due to the salt trade and the navigation on the river Mur, Bruck was the most important wholesale center of Styria next to Graz until the 16th century.
Art and culture flourished and important buildings were erected. The gothic Kornmesserhaus , landmark of Bruck and named after the tradesman Pankraz Kornmeß, is a still visible sign of the town's wealth at that time. The Iron Fountain on the main square is one of the most important wrought iron works of the Green Mark . On the Brucker Schloßberg once was the mighty castle Landskron, which, like most of the houses in the town, was completely destroyed in the devastating town fire of 1792.
The annual juggler festival " Murenschalk " is also an indirect reminder of a fire. Once upon a time there lived in Bruck a mischievous joker who roamed the streets day and night playing crude tricks on the people. However, since he called people's attention to a conflagration one night by shouting loudly, but jumped into the Mur himself out of fear, he was popular with the inhabitants.
With the Höhere Bundeslehranstalt für Forstwirtschaft , the only forestry school in Austria, Bruck offers a special educational program.
In turn, the nature conservation center in the Weitental with its wild animal sanctuary and a large adventure playground has long since established itself as a popular destination for excursions.
Old Town Tour through the historic city center of Bruck an der MurThis old town round is of course not a classic hike, but rather a cultural-historical-culinary walk through one of the most beautiful city centers of Styria.We start at the main square of Bruck (the 2nd - largest inner city square in Austria) in front of the gothic Kornmesserhaus. Vis a vis is the worth seeing Iron Fountain. Via the city parish church and the city park with the culture house / city museum our round now leads to the Schloßberg. After a short rest with a beautiful panoramic view over the entire city we descend to the Minoritenkirche and walk in the direction of the Mur. At the new Europabrücke bridge we turn right and walk along the Mur (Murterrassen) to the Hotel Landskron at the Schiffertor. Keeping to the right again, our path leads us back to the main square with the Mariensäule and the Anthauerhaus.